How to Apply Domestic Helper Visa Extension of Stay in Hong Kong

As a Foreign Domestic Helper, you are allowed to work in Hong Kong for two years. After two years, you are expected to leave the country and go back home. In some cases, if your employer wishes you to stay after finishing your contract or you have to complete the remainder period of your current stay(your passport has expired before you have finished the 2 year contract,), then you have to apply for Extension of Stay.

You may be asking yourself, “How can I submit my application?”

The good news is that Hong Kong government has made it easier for applicants to submit their application; mail, in person and online.


Important Information about applying for an Extension of Stay

What do you need to know in submitting your application?

Here are the necessary information that will answer your questions;

  1. Documents to submit
  • Complete the application form ID988A
  • Your employer should complete the form ID988B
  • Copy of your travel documents
  • Employer’s proof of financial capability
  • Copy of residential address
  • Employer’s letter with the statement that he/she is confirming continuous employment with you.
  1. Where to your submit application

You can submit your application through the following:

Mail: Foreign Domestic Helpers Section, Immigration Department
3/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Walk-in : Receipt and Despatch Sub-unit, Immigration Department
2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Immigration Branch Offices:

  1. East Kowloon Office
    Level 2, Sceneway Plaza, Sceneway Garden, 1-17 Sceneway Road, Lam Tin, Kowloon.
  2. West Kowloon Office
    G/F, 28 Kimberley Street, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.
  3. Sha Tin Office
    3/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, N.T.
  4. Fo Tan Office
    Shops 405 & 406, 4/F, Jubilee Square, 2-18 Lok King Street, Fo Tan, N.T.
  5. Yuen Long Office
    Shop B, G/F, Manhattan Plaza, 23 Sai Ching Street, Yuen Long, N.T.



  1. Processing Time

The processing time will take 10 working days after the department has received all the needed documents. So, make sure that you have completed all the required forms and supporting documents.

  1. When to submit it in person

Monday-Friday 8:45 am to 4:30 pm

Saturday 9:00 am- 11:30 am

  1. Fee

To view the fee to be paid click here

  1. When to apply for an extension of stay

According to the Hong Kong government website, a foreign domestic helper can apply for an extension of stay within 8 weeks before your limit of stay expires. This will give you ample time to secure your stay in Hong Kong.

Some people prefer submitting their applications online,this saves time from queuing and traveling. All you have to do is visit their website, and they have provided step by step procedures on how to do it. On the other hand, if you want to submit your application in person, then you can also book an appointment and avoid the long line (2598 0888).


Leave a Comment