Non-permanent residents in Hong Kong, which include foreign domestic helpers, whose visas or work permits have an expiry date are required to apply for an extension of stay if they wish to remain and work in Hong Kong whether for a new or the same employer.
If it’s your first time applying for an extension of stay, you’d be pleased to know that this process can be done online. Continue reading below to know how…
Disclaimer: The information published is based on the experience shared by the vlogger/YouTuber. The information provided may change without prior notice and may differ in actual scenarios. Let this article serve as a guide only.
Here is the video guide shared by a Pinay OFW “Dee”, a.k.a Jaenah Jim on YouTube. If you find her tips helpful, you may check out her YouTube channel to catch more interesting content about her work and life as an OFW in Hong Kong.
OFW Guide: Book An Appointment to Apply for Extension of Stay in Hong Kong
Booking an appointment online is very convenient to do, and depending on actual circumstances, applications are normally approved on the same day.
Who Are Required to Use this Service?
1. Persons admitted under the following arrangements/schemes or their dependents
- General Employment Policy
- Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals
- Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates
- Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents
2. Persons admitted under the Supplementary Labor Scheme
3. Persons with student status or their dependents
4. Dependents of Hong Kong permanent residents or residents who are not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. residents with the right to land or on unconditional stay)
5. Foreign domestic helpers
- With the same employer:
- Contract renewal
- Complete the remainder period of the current contract
- Mutual agreement for extension of current contract for one month
- With a new employer (change of employer)
What You Need:
- Reference Number of Your Latest Visa
- Passport (for Employment Limit of Stay)
- For workers whose contracts have been terminated: Date of Contract Termination
How to Book an Appointment
According to Dee, you can actually apply for an extension of stay at the Immigration Office, but you will need to wait in line. And usually, domestic helpers do not have a lot of time to process their documents, especially during workdays. This is why booking an appointment online is highly advised. Once your appointment has been confirmed, you just need to provide a reference number to the guard at the Immigration Office and you will be accommodated right away on your scheduled appointment time.
So, here’s what you need to do to book an appointment online:
- Go to the Immigration Department’s Online Appointment Page. Read the overview then click Continue.
- On the next page, you will be asked to select the service you wish to avail. If you are applying for an extension of stay for the first time, click Make Appointment.
- On the next page, you will be informed that your transaction may require the use of a printer, just click OK.
5. For the next part, select the category that you belong to. If you’re a foreign domestic helper, select the corresponding option then choose whether you’re working with the same or a new employer. Click Continue.
6. On the next page, you will be asked to fill out the details of your appointment. Go through each section carefully and input all the necessary information accordingly to avoid committing mistakes or having to redo any sections as you move along.
7. After you’ve completed the appointment details, enter the 4-digit code to validate the form then click Continue.
8. On the next page, select your preferred office and appointment date. Note any special instructions given on the page, such as important directions or other information provided.
9. Once you have selected your preferred office and schedule date and time, you will be asked to review your appointment details. Be sure to go through all the sections and make sure that all information provided is correct and accurate. Once everything is in order, click Confirm and Submit.
10. A small pop-up window will show the confirmation page of your booked appointment. Scroll down and look for the transaction reference number (TRN). Copy this number on a piece of paper, or you may choose to save a copy or print this window if you can do so. Then click Complete.
That’s it! Booking an online appointment at the Immigration Department here in Hong Kong, according to Dee, is very easy and convenient because everything is simple to do and follow. You just need to read carefully and take note of important instructions.
With your transaction reference number in hand, you can then go to the immigration office you booked for on your appointment without having to wait in a queue. Just show the security officer at the entrance your TRN and inform him/her that you will be applying for an extension of stay.
For an even faster transaction at the Immigration Office, you can fill out the application form for extension of stay by downloading and printing a copy of the form using this link (11 pages), fill it out ahead of your appointment schedule and bring it with you on your appointment date, and present it to the immigration officer.
It’s very easy right? With proper planning and time management, you can take care of the documents you need to be able to work and stay here in Hong Kong without much trouble.
Have you experienced booking an appointment for your application for an extension of stay here in Hong Kong? How was your experience? Are there any other tips you would like to share with our fellow Filipinos working in Hong Kong? Let us know by leaving a comment in the section below!