Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who may have a need for NBI Clearance for whatever purpose they may have for it has to course an application through the Philippine Embassy in their host country.
Typically, the NBI Clearance is one of the mandatory requirements needed for employment for a job in the Philippines or abroad. The NBI Clearance serves as a proof that a person has no criminal record or offense, and that the individual is in good standing with the law. However, the process for obtaining one is different when you’re in the Philippines or here in Hong Kong.
Applying for an NBI Clearance for Pinoys in Hong Kong
If you’ve had the experience in applying for an NBI Clearance in the Philippines, you’d probably picture out long queues and waiting hours at the NBI office to get your document processed. However, that is not the case when you apply for one here in Hong Kong.
Here are the general requirements when applying for an NBI Clearance:
- Original Passport
- One (1) 2×2 photo in white background
- Your old NBI Clearance (if applicable)
Once you’ve secured the basic requirements, here are the steps you need to take for your application:
- First, you need to secure an appointment at Counter 4 at the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong.
- Provide the above-listed requirements on the date of your appointment.
- Have your fingerprints taken. This will be facilitated by a consulate personnel or Hong Kong police.
- The application form bearing the applicant’s fingerprints, the stamp/”chop” of the Consulate or Hong Kong Police, as well as the name and signature of the personnel who took the fingerprints will be handed back to the applicant.
- Submit the completely filled-out application form to NBI.
Submitting your Application to NBI:
There are two ways for you to submit your application to the NBI:
- Direct submission.
Submit the application form along with a copy of your passport, Hong Kong Visa, and a money order in the amount of PHP 200.00 (thru Metrobank, 2/F United Centre) to the following mailing address:
NATIONAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
ATTN: MAILED CLEARANCE SECTION
2nd FLOOR NBI CLEARANCE BUILDING
U.N. AVENUE, MANILA, PHILIPPINES
Note: (1) The processing time could take up to three (3) weeks, depending on the method of submission/receipt for the application or clearance.
(2) The NBI Clearance certificate will be delivered to you through air mail.
- Submission through an authorized representative.
Forward the application, copy of passport, Hong Kong Visa, and authorization letter to a relative who will submit the application and obtain the clearance from any NBI office.
Note: The representative shall be responsible for sending the NBI clearance to the applicant.
Other than securing an NBI Clearance, the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong offers a variety of consular services for Filipino nationals in Hong Kong. To know more about their services, you can check out their website HERE.