In an earlier announcement by the Hong Kong Immigration Department in October, the government will be conducting a city-wide identity card replacement exercise starting December 27, as shared in a report by news.gov.hk.
The said initiative will begin by the end of this month, and is expected to complete in four years. All Hong Kong identity card holders, including foreign domestic helpers, will be invited to visit any of the nine designated Smart Identity Card Replacement Centres in various phases based on the cardholder’s year of birth. More on that below . . .
Replacement of Identity Cards to Involve Foreign Domestic Helpers
With this new policy set to roll out soon, domestic helpers with Hong Kong identity cards are expected to participate in the initiative. Failure to comply within the designated replacement period without any valid reason would be considered a violation against the law and is subject to a maximum fine of HKD 5,000 (USD 638).
Since all Hong Kong residents, including domestic helpers and other residents for employment, investment or study, are expected to participate in this initiative, the Secretary for Security will be releasing an announcement regarding the details of the first cycle as the date approaches.
Upon issuance of the administrative order from the Secretary of Security, the arrangement will be as follows:
Period of Replacement: December 27, 2018 – March 30, 2019
Year of birth/Groups:
- The Chief Executive
- Members of the Executive Council
- Members of the Legislative Council
- Principal Officials
- Members of the Immigration Service
- Police Officers and Labour Inspectors
Period of Replacement: December January 21, 2019 – March 30, 2019
Year of birth/Groups: 1985 or 1986
Period of Replacement: December April 1, 2019 – June 1, 2019
Year of birth/Groups: 1968 or 1969
How to Replace the Identity Card:
- In order to save time, you may book an appointment online and pre-fill out forms before heading to the smart identity replacement centre.
- The nine (9) Smart Identity Card Replacement Centres (SIDCCs) will be set up across the administrative region for the Identity Card Replacement Exercise. The sites are as follows:
- Hong Kong Island Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Room 200, 2/F, Shui On Centre, 6–8 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
- East Kowloon Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Unit 1, 2/F, Manulife Financial Centre and Unit 1B, 3/F, Manulife Financial Centre, Tower A, 223–231 Wai Yip Street, Kwun Tong
- West Kowloon Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: 12/F, Gala Place, 56 Dundas Street, Mong Kok
- Tsuen Wan Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Shop S201, 2/F, Smartland, 50 Texaco Road, Tsuen Wan
- Sha Tin Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Shop G26, G/F & Shop 123, 1/F, Kings Wing Plaza 1, 3 On Kwan Street, Sha Tin
- Sheung Shui Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: 7/F, Spot, 48 Lung Sum Avenue, Sheung Shui
- Tuen Mun Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Shop L414B, Level 4, Leung King Plaza, Leung King Estate, 31 Tin King Road, Tuen Mun
- Yuen Long Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Shop 50, G/F, Manhattan Plaza, 23 Sai Ching Street, Yuen Long
- Tseung Kwan O Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre
- Address: Shop 20-26, G/F, Corinthia By The Sea, 23 Tong Yin Street, Tseung Kwan O, Sai Kung
As with anything important in life, preparation is key. Let’s not fall into the habit of chasing after deadlines. In this case, let’s process our applications as early as we can in order to avoid incurring any unnecessary fines and to secure our status here in Hong Kong.
For more information, you can check out the Immigration Department’s official website.
For inquiries and assistance, you can also reach the Immigration Department by e-mail or by calling 2824 6111.