Despite the challenges of living alone and working to provide for the family, OFWs must also understand that without setting up contingency plans for themselves such as insurance packages, everything will be meaningless.
We know that life can be unpredictable – one day you can be a healthy working individual, and a sick unemployed person to the next. It for this reason that OFWs should know how to apply for voluntary membership even when they are based overseas.
Guide to Applying for PhilHealth Voluntary Membership Online
But before you sign up for this, it’s important that you understand what the benefits are in becoming a PhilHealth Member. Aside from getting a private insurance policy, being a member of PhilHealth entitles you to the following benefits, which can help lessen your financial burden in case you or any of your enrolled dependent/s get sick or hospitalized:
- Inpatient Benefits: PhilHealth shall reimburse a portion of your hospital bill if you get confined for an admissible condition at any PhilHealth-accredited facility.
- Outpatient Benefits: PhilHealth shall cover a portion of the cost for day or ambulatory surgeries, where patients are sent home within the same day for post-operative care; radiotherapy; haemodialysis; outpatient blood transfusions; as well as primary and expanded care benefits.
- Z-Benefits: This package caters to certain cases of cancer and other serious illnesses for both children and adults residing in the Philippines.
- SDG-related Benefits: These include voluntary surgical contraception procedure, malaria packages, HIV-AIDS package, anti-tuberculosis treatment, and animal bite treatment package.
With the above-listed benefits, it’s hard to contest how important a PhilHealth membership is. Although it is not as comprehensive as other private insurance packages are, becoming a PhilHealth member is important for every working Filipino whether based in the Philippines or overseas.
However, in order to claim the benefits that come along with the PhilHealth membership, you must first register as a voluntary member through ANY of the following methods:
- Land-based OFWs may apply at any branch of PhilHealth-accredited collecting partners: iRemit and Ventaja Corporation.
- You may also apply online via the PhilHealth Online Registration Facility using the following steps:
- Visit the PhilHealth Electronic Registration System.
- Click “Proceed”.
- Read the Terms and Conditions, tick the small box at the bottom, and click “Accept”.
- Enter all the required details on the PhilHealth Online Registration Form.
- Upload your document in jpeg, pdf, gif, or png format. (Optional)
- Key in the provided Captcha code, tick the small box, and then click “Submit Registration”.
- Check your inbox for an email notification message with the instructions on how to complete your PhilHealth membership application. Copy the transaction number, which will serve as the reference to your registration.
- Download and print the PMRF, fill it out completely, and send it via email.
Whichever method you choose, you will have to pay PHP 2,400 or the equivalent in your country’s currency at any PhilHealth office, collecting agents, or the PhilHealth Operations Center at the POEA Central Office.
If you have any concerns or requests, you may contact PhilHealth’s Overseas Filipino Program (OFP) through the following channels:
OFW mobile phone: +63 917 512 9149
Telephone number: 02 441 7442
When you register yourself as a voluntary member under PhilHealth, you are safeguarding your health and your finances, in case something unexpected happens to you or any of your dependents. If you wish to know more about the member benefits and to get updates from PhilHealth, feel free to check out their official website.