Hong Kong Plug Type: Power Outlet Adapter

A trip to Hong Kong would not be complete without a visit to Causeway Bay, Temple Street Night Market, The Peak, Tian Tan Buddha (Big Buddha), and Hong Kong Disneyland. Of course, you shouldn’t forget to take lots and lots of pictures while exploring these amazing places! This means that you should keep your mobile phones and tablets charged as much as possible!

But how can you charge your mobile phone if the plug does not fit into a power socket? In this case, you’ll need to use a travel adapter. In this article, we are going to discuss the electric plugs and sockets commonly used in Hong Kong, and the type of travel adapter you need to ensure continuous use of your electric gadgets!

Hong Kong Plug Type Power Outlet Adapter

What is the Electrical Outlet Power Socket in Hong Kong?

Before anything else, let’s talk about which type of plugs are typically used in Hong Kong. In this city, you are likely to find Type G plugs and sockets. This type of plug features three rectangular pins that are arranged in a triangular pattern. It is sometimes called the “UK” plug, since it originated from the United Kingdom. The Type G plug is compatible with Type G sockets only.

Aside from Type G plugs, you might encounter Type D and Type M plugs as well. However, these are not as common, and most hotels nowadays have Type G sockets.

Here’s what a Type G plug and socket look like:

Hong Kong Plug Type Power Outlet Adapter

With regard to voltage and frequency, power outlets in Hong Kong usually operate on a standard voltage of 220V, with a standard frequency of 50Hz. Nevertheless, there are some hotels that may have 100V outlets.

What is the Plug Adapter Type in Hong Kong?

If your mobile phone, tablets, and other electric devices do not have a Type G plug, then you should bring a Type G plug adapter when you visit Hong Kong. This will enable you to plug and use your devices in Type G electric outlets.

Here’s what a Type G plug adapter looks like:

Hong Kong Plug Type Power Outlet Adapter
Image Credit: internationalconfig.com

Travel Adapter vs. Voltage Converter

Before going further, let’s talk about travel adapters and voltage converters. What’s the difference between them? As mentioned earlier, a travel adapter is a device that allows you to plug and charge your gadgets into an electric outlet with a different plug type.

A travel adapter, however, does not convert electric voltage. This can only be done by a voltage converter — a device that changes electricity from one level to another. For instance, if the label on your appliance says 100V to 120V, then you may need to use a voltage converter in Hong Kong, where the standard voltage of electric outlets is 220V.

Should I Bring a Travel Adapter to Hong Kong?

If your home country uses a different type of plug, then yes, you should consider bringing a travel adapter to Hong Kong. On the other hand, if you home country also uses Type G plugs and outlets, then it may not be necessary for you to bring a travel adapter.

Should I Bring a Voltage Converter to Hong Kong?

To answer this question, it’s important to know the standard voltage of your destination. Every country has a “standard” voltage. Most countries in North and South America, for example, have a standard voltage of 100V to 120V. In contrast, most of the countries in Asia, Middle East, Europe, and Australia, have a standard voltage of 220V to 240V.

As cited earlier, the standard voltage in Hong Kong is 220V. If the standard voltage in your home country is also 220V, then you don’t have to bring a voltage converter. However, if the standard voltage in your home country is not the same, then yes, its likely necessary to bring a voltage converter to Hong Kong.

Likewise, there’s no need to bring a converter if the standard frequency in your home country is the same as in Hong Kong (i.e. 50Hz). On the other hand, if the standard frequency is not the same, then you may have to bring a converter.

What About Devices with Dual Voltage?

You may have heard of devices that are “dual voltage.” If you look closely at the fine print on your gadgets, you might see something like “INPUT: 100-240V” and “50/60Hz.” This means that the gadget is dual voltage, and you can plug it into power outlets of any voltage and frequency, anywhere in the world.

That being said, even if your device is dual voltage, don’t forget to check the plug type in your destination. If it is different, you’re still going to need a travel adapter, but not necessarily a voltage converter.

Where Can I Buy Electrical Supplies in Hong Kong?

Upon arrival in Hong Kong, you are likely to find a travel adapter and other electrical supplies at the airport. However, these may be more “pricey” compared to the same products sold outside the airport. If you’re on a budget, you could always go to the nearest convenience store, supermarket, or shopping mall to buy electrical supplies. Moreover, always have extra cash for expenses such as these!

Video: Travel Adapter in Hong Kong

In this video, the vlogger is talking about the electrical outlets you are likely to find in Hong Kong hotels, and the type of travel adapter you need. Notably, this video is shared via “TATA VLOGZ” YouTube channel, which features videos about food, cooking, road trips, and various adventures!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Meanwhile, here are some frequently asked questions and answers about power sockets, plugs, and adapters in Hong Kong:

1. What type of power sockets are used in Hong Kong?

The most common type of power socket and plug used in Hong Kong is Type G. It is oftentimes called the “UK plug” because it originates from the United Kingdom.

2. What type of adapter do I need?

You need to bring a Type G travel adapter to Hong Kong, especially if your mobile phone, tablet, laptop, and other gadgets do not use a Type G plug.

3. Will I need a voltage converter?

If the standard voltage in your home country is the same as in Hong Kong (220V), you don’t have to bring a voltage converter. On the other hand, if the standard voltage in your country is different, then you may need to bring a converter.

4. Is the Hong Kong plug the same as in the UK?

Yes, plugs in Hong Kong are the same as in the UK, i.e. Type G. You don’t have to bring a travel adapter if your devices have this type of plug.

5. Is the Hong Kong plug the same as in the USA?

No, plugs in Hong Kong are not the same as in the US, where plugs and sockets are usually Type A and Type B.

6. What other countries use Type G plugs?

Other than Hong Kong and the United Kingdom, there are many other places where Type G plugs and outlets are used. These include the following: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei, China, Cyprus, Ghana, Guatemala, Iraq, Ireland, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, Tanzania, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Yemen, and Zimbabwe.

7. Where can I buy electrical supplies?

When in Hong Kong, you can easily buy travel adapters, voltage converters, and other electrical supplies in most supermarkets, convenience stores, and shopping malls. These are also available at the airport, although the prices there are usually more expensive.

8. Any tips when buying a travel adapter?

Before purchasing a travel adapter, you should first inquire about the type of plugs and sockets that are often used in your destination. You should also look for a travel adapter containing the features that you need, such as USB ports, “quick charge” features, and other capabilities.

9. Will my hotel room have a USB socket?

Generally speaking, most hotels these days, including those in Hong Kong — have USB sockets. Still, you can always contact the hotel where you’ll be staying and inquire whether or not you need to bring any adapters or converters. You can always bring a Type G adapter with USB sockets, just to be sure.

10. Do I need to bring a power strip?

If you are going to Hong Kong as part of a big group, or if you will be checking into a hotel with your whole family — consider bringing a Type G power strip. This way, you can plug or charge several gadgets simultaneously. However, if you are traveling alone, or with your spouse only, then you may not need to bring a power strip at all.

Hong Kong Plug Type Power Outlet Adapter


If you are heading to Hong Kong anytime soon, be sure to pack the essentials, including a travel adapter for your electric devices! You never know when you might need one, so it’s always a good idea to carry one in your bag at all times. This way, you can explore and take as many pictures and videos that you want!

Aside from seeing all the tourist attractions, you should also consider shopping for new clothes, gadgets, and other things in Hong Kong. After all, this city is known for its numerous stores selling quality items at affordable prices. Here’s a guide about everything you need to know about shopping in Hong Kong. Have fun!